Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I'll take Istanbul for 1.8 million...

Bucharest, Romania

I'll be leaving Bucharest tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday) for Istanbul. I purchased my train ticket at the Bucharest station after trying in vein to take the ferry. Apparently it doesn't start until May of 2006, even though their website looks awfully ready to go...

The train ride is another long one, around 18 hours and it must be lethargically slow since the distance to cover is only around 700km! Lonely Planet seems to recommend the bus, but I couldn't find anyone else who could back that up. The bus is indeed faster, by about 5 hours, but only costs about 10-15 dollars less. So I'm splurging on a 2 person sleeper (living it up) for only 55$ and I'm going to enjoy the extra space over the 18 hour journey damit!

So, unless I cancel my train ticket to Istanbul for a second time, I should be arriving in Turkey sometime Thursday morning... Just over two weeks later then I had originally planned... The beauty of traveling without a plan I guess!

Kenny