Friday, February 10, 2006

Arrived in Addis Ababa

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
 
Well, I've finally arrived in Addis Ababa after spending the last week or so in Northern Ethiopia. It was quite the experience and I've got lots of updates and photos to post after I get caught up on email. The short update is that Ethiopia is Africa. The people, the landscape, it's all amazing. Northern Ethiopia feels like stepping back several hundred years in time, it's unbelievable how people live up there, it's so raw. Travel is also extremely rough. There are few paved roads and the buses are cramped, over crowded, hot and dusty. Travel distances are measured in half day units, with the shortest bus ride taking "a half day", then a "one day" bus ride, then a "two day" bus ride and so on...
 
Anyways, I'll be in Addis for the next few days, maybe even up to a week while I get things organized for heading south towards Kenya and perhaps into Uganda and Rwanda, at least that's the tentative plan for now...
 
Updates and photos to come over the next few days...
 
Kenny