Sunday, March 12, 2006

Heading to Moshi

Nairobi, Kenya

I'm leaving Nairobi on Monday (tomorrow) bound for Moshi. There's so much in Kenya I didn't get to, but if I don't get to Kilimanjaro soon, I worry that I might be too late in the season and the rains could really become a problem, so I'm heading south. Kenya has been interesting, though really I barely saw any of the country other then what I saw on the safari and Nairobi itself. I had hoped to make it out to the coast, to Lamu in particular, but that's just not going to happen. Instead, I'll save my coast exploring for Tanzania and maybe Mozambique.

However, I did have one "night out" on the town last night here in Nairobi and it was an experience like no other. I'll have to do an update just on that but the short version is that the local girls around here just jump on a foreigner the second he's alone on the dance floor or at the bar. I've never been approached and  grabbed so much in all my life! And while the first few times it's certainly the ultimate ego boost, it quickly becomes oddly uncomfortable and then downright annoying. My heart goes out to all those back home who've had to endure the "San Francisco pick-up", after being on the receiving end of the "Nairobi pick-up", I feel for you all... ;)

Anyways, in theory I should be in Moshi, or at least Arusha, Monday night and then hopefully start climbing Kili within a few days. Slowly but surely I'm getting closer to Cape Town.

Kenny