Thursday, November 10, 2005

Arrived in Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey

Just a quick note to say that I arrived in Istanbul, Turkey a few hours ago. The train ride in from Bucharest was fine, though much longer then the ticket suggested. Instead of arriving at 8am, we arrived at 1pm, some 23 hours after leaving Bucharest. No idea where we lost so much time, but the train did stop at just about every station and the border crossing into Turkey took a few hours (and cost $60US!)

I'm now staying at the Antique Hostel, which seems decent enough. The location is great, with all the great attractions nearby. I've heard that while you need to be somewhat weary of the friendship that Turkish people express, there is also a genuineness to it. I've already been helped to the bathroom, offered a half dozen places to stay, shown a book store, offered tea and told of a great place to purchase silverware. Keep in mind, this all happened between the train station and my hostel. Granted, walking around with a backpack and a Lonely Planet guide book open probably just screams "Talk to me!", but still...

I'm now off to explore some of the area and eat something other then pizza, which sadly has been my diet for the last little bit. (And not because I'm being picky but more because in Prague and Bucharest it seems the pizzaria's out number just about any other restaurant...)

Oh cool, I can now near the mosque loud speakers blaring something. It's 2.35pm, I wonder if that's prayer time or something. Off to find out...

Kenny