Monday, March 13, 2006

Arrived in Moshi, Tanzania

Moshi, Tanzania

Just a quick note to say that I've arrived in Moshi, Tanzania safely. The trip down from Nairobi was uneventful. No flat tires, no riding in the back of any trucks. Just a standard mid-size bus loaded with a bunch of other backpackers going to Arusha and Moshi.

It's amazing but in the last few hours I've probably seen more travelers and backpackers then in all my time in Sudan, Ethiopia and Kenya. I think after being somewhat off the beaten path for the last few months I've now jumped right onto the main highway. I'll probably spend a few days here getting organized, then hopefully start climbing by the end of the week.

So far, Tanzania is refreshingly less expensive then Nairobi was. However, the internet cafe I'm at is currently being run off of a generator since the town apparently doesn't have full electricity during the day. On the wall of the internet cafe is a rather odd sign that reads "When there is no electricity, we will be charging as follows...." I guess it costs more to run an internet cafe off of a generator then it does the local power grid... ;)

Kenny