Merry Christmas?
Hama, Aleppo
Lately I've been getting a lot of "Merry Christmas"'s while in Syria. It's normally said by a Syrian not long after "Hello" or just as I'm leaving as a replacement for "Goodbye". The first time I heard it, I just assumed that the person didn't really know all that much English, but I've since heard it from some rather well spoken Syrians, I can only assume one (or all) of the following are true:
- They are mixing up American Thanksgiving with Christmas. (doubtful)
- They assume I must be Christian and therefore am getting ready for Christmas.
- They assume Christmas is closer then it really is.
- They assume "Merry Christmas" is a parting phrase, much like "Peace be upon you" is the most common Arabic greeting.
- It's common practice to wish someone happy wishes for the next upcoming appropriately religious holiday, regardless of when it is.
- Or simply it's all they know in English.
While I personally couldn't care less about this issue, it still sounds kind of funny to hear a Muslim Syrian, in a souq in Aleppo (or Hama), wishing me a Merry Christmas.
Kenny
<< Home