Praying...
Istanbul, Turkey
One interesting thing that I didn't mention earlier is the call to prayer that echoes from the mosques five times a day. I really need to learn more about this because clearly not every person in Istanbul stops what they are doing and starts praying. I'd like to know what the "rules" are, for lack of a better word, on who prays and how often.
What was fascinating, is that right in the middle of the Grand Bazaar, you'll come across dozens and in some cases probably hundreds of people kneeling down on their prayer mats with their shoes off. This will take up almost 2/3 the width of these tiny alley ways and is done right in front of all the stalls and shops. People just walk around those praying and in many cases the stalls that remain open continue to sell stuff, it's very surreal and I wish I had had the guts to take a picture, but I didn't. From what I could tell, the noon time call to prayer is the most followed, with many of the stalls putting a broom across their table out front, or a sheet or carpet in front of their entrance to indicate that the place is not open for business. For a city this large, and with so many people wandering the bazaar, the level of trust is pretty amazing to just leave out all your goods with nothing more then a broom lying across the clothes.
Kenny
<< Home