Friday, February 24, 2006

Arrived in Kenya

Moyale, Kenya

Another quick note to say that I'm currently in Moyale, Kenya, which is literally right on the Kenyan/Ethiopian border. I'm at the post office which has a great view of the border about 100 meters down the road.

I've spent the last week or so riding around on trucks in southern Ethiopia, exploring parts of the amazing Omo Valley and the people that live there (Hammer Tribe). It was an amazing experience though sadly the impact of tourism (myself included) in that area is something that I'll have to think about for a long time (ie: it's not good, really not good).

I obviously have a ton to write up on since it's been over 3 weeks that I've been in Ethiopia, but those updates will have to wait a few more days. From the border, my plan is to basically head straight down to Nairobi, since I can't get a good grasp as to what there is to see between here and there (short of a bunch of organized tours). I might stop at Mt Kenya, but we'll see.

The ride down from the border will take at least 2-3 days and I'm told that the first half is particularily rough. For security, trucks heading south depart in the morning in convoys so my hope is to catch a ride with one of them early tomorrow morning. (Buses are few and far between this far north).

For those following at home on a map, find the border town of Moyale on the Ethiopian border (due north, slightly east), then follow that south towards a town called Marsabit, then Isiolo then into Nairobi. That's roughly the route I'll be taking. I might cut east at Isiolo to Lamu on the coast, but I won't make a final decision until I arrived in Isiolo.

If all goes well, I should be in Nairobi on or around Monday, and, perhaps more importantly, finally get back to a decent internet connection.

Till then,
Kenny