Monday, November 14, 2005

Slowly dying...

Istanbul, Turkey

At times on this trip I've wished I was a smoker and right now is one of those times. It absolutely amazes me how many people in Europe smoke (and how frequently they smoke). Granted, California is probably one of the most smoke free (cigarette smoke that is) places, but I'm still in awe with the appetite Europeans have for smoking. Right now, I'm in an Internet cafe in Istanbul (waiting for my Syrian visa, more on that later) and the room is just filled with cigarette smoke. Ash trays at every terminal and like most places in Europe it has poor ventilation. Whether you're at a cafe, club or restaurant, there is always someone lighting up. Simply put, there is no escaping it and I'm sure I've inhaled at least a pack or two of second hand smoke myself, not to mention the amount of smoke I bring home everyday in my hair and clothes...

Now I'm not the biggest health freak, far from it, but one has to wonder whether or not Europeans (and yes, I'm grouping them all together until I find a smoke-free European country) just don't care about their health, of if cigarettes over here just aren't nearly as potent as one would think (doubtful). Regardless, I can't wait to slowly move away from big cities and hopefully find some fresh air in the open plains of the Middle East and Africa...

/sigh
Kenny