Stones Town, Zanzibar
Stones Town, Zanzibar
Well after almost a week, I'm still here in Stones Town, which is about 5-6 days longer then most people spend in Stones Town. I've actually enjoyed wandering around the streets and narrow alleyways as there always seems to be something interesting around the corner. However, things have died down the last few days as most (all?) of the people that were at the hotel have moved on.
The routine the last few days have been breakfast at the hotel before wandering around town for the morning. Back at the hotel for a little mid-day "siesta" and too escape the heat, then back out late afternoon before heading over to the "Africa House" hotel for drinks on the deck as the sunsets. While expensive, this is the place where all "mzungo" (white foreigners) seem to head around 6pm. Afterwards, a group of us normally heads down to the Forodhani Gardens where you can purchase fresh seafood by the skewer and have it grilled on open air barbeque's. Nightlife has sometimes involved a few drinks at local spots, but normally by around 10-11pm, we're back at the hotel and just chilling outside on the veranda.
I was hoping to rent a moped on Thursday to cruise around the island on but rain on Thursday and today, Friday, have put that plan on hold. With more rain in the forecast I'm not quite sure what my plans are for the next few days. Normally, one would just head north to the famous beaches, but if it's raining up there as well (and it is), then there really isn't a reason to head there, so I might just keep staying in Stones Town until the weather improves and I can rent my moped. Sadly, the forecast is not too encouraging...
Kenny
<< Home