Zanzibar
Stones Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania
Some people wait their entire life and never make it to a place they can call paradise. For me, it took 6 months of traveling. Zanzibar, Tanzania is definitely the closest that I've come to paradise (though one could argue that a phat powder day in North Bowl is pretty damn close as well, maybe that's the winter version of paradise...)
Regardless, I arrived yesterday (Saturday) on the ferry from Dar Es Salaam and already I'm falling in love... With the town, sorry guys, no gossip here... Spent the first night at a place called "Africa House" overlooking the Indian Ocean while watching the sunset, doesn't get much better then that if you ask me.
This morning, myself and two fellow traveling partners learned of a spice tour that was taking off, so we hoped in the van with a bunch of other travelers and spent the day cruising around the island looking at different types of spices. Frankly, I didn't care much for the spices and instead spent my time entertaining the local under-12 crowd with weird "Simon-Does" sort of body movements... It's very strange to have a half dozen local kids lift up their arm or leg as they follow your movements. I felt like I was leading some Jane Fonda workout class at times, but they all had a good laugh and it was definitely more entertaining then learning about spices... Except for nutmeg, which is apparently an aphrodisiac since our guide really enjoyed say, in a deep African voice, how "horny" it makes people. Let me tell you, the first time you hear your guide say the word "horny", you immediately look at the person beside you and both of you, without saying a word, ask each other "Did I just hear what I think I heard?"... Two minutes late it's confirmed, you heard that nutmeg makes you horny... Go figure, you learn something everyday.
Anyways, it's getting close to "sunset time" so I'm off to watch another beautiful sunset over the Indian Ocean... Wish you were here.
Kenny
<< Home